Tuesday, February 22, 2011

This Cannot Exist


Ughh...

I have not seen this movie, but the premise is enough to give me a brain aneurysm.  It's Romeo and Juliet... with gnomes.  Why?!?! 

I am by no means a Shakespeare purist.  I think many of his plays can and should be adapted to new settings (I've seen A Comedy of Errors done in the Old West before), but this is just stupid.  On the other hand, it could be endearing and true to the source material, but from the reviews I've read, probably not.  Elton John did do the soundtrack, though, so it can't be too bad.

I wonder what cute Shakespeare updates for kids I can think up...

  1. Twelfth Night... with clownfish!  It takes the gender-bendery to the next level!
  2. Othello... with Star-Bellied Sneetches!
  3. Hamlet... with lions--wait, never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment